Tuesday, August 12, 2008

J.J. Updates

Our guy learned how to open the wipe container...and I learned that 80 wipes is a lot of wipes.


Well, it's always interesting when one of our little guys' caseworkers visit! We had both visit this morning, so it was very interesting.

And it always surprises me how quickly a DHS case can change.


Like, in 30 seconds.




J.J.'s mom has now said that she's comfortable with us adopting him, and as far as we know, the idea of her choosing a friend to adopt him is not flying with the courts. And his older brother's adoptive family isn't pursuing custody at this time, either. That leaves us as the permanency options at this time.



Of course, as I mentioned before, cases can change suddenly and without warning, so we're still far from celebrating.



On an interesting side note, we also found out that his birth father is African-American. Bearing in mind that this is what birth mom says. We're on the sceptical side of that one. I could see it, though, and have often wondered. His hair always threw me, though, as it has super soft waves, not curly-ques.

Really, other than that, I could see it. Whatever he is, he's sure cute!


On Levi's case, we're just waiting our turn in line to have the judge sign the paperwork. Everything on our end is done and submitted. Maybe we'll have this wrapped up and finalized by the end of the year!

What a wonderful Christmas gift that would be!

Another interesting point in our day was when I took Levi to the fruit stand. I left the baby home to nap and the big boys to hang out with Daddy. I figured Levi and I would buy some local berries and pick up the bananas he's been asking after. Also, this particular stand has a dessert shack offering amazing summer treats made with fresh produce. If you ever have the chance to try vanilla-lavender ice cream, by the way, jump at it. Amazing.

Anyway, we were there enjoying one another's company when we noticed a cute little girl about Levi's age. Beautiful black ringlets, big brown eyes, the works. Just adorable. Her mom had a newborn in a sling. Levi loves babies and we were discussing how cute they were.

Later as we were enjoying our ice cream at the picnic bench, they approached us and said, "Is that you, (my son's birth name)?"

Levi, not knowing his birth name, didn't take notice.

I sure did.

My defenses immediately FLEW up, but I think I did OK. Turns out that the cute little girl is his cousin. I was talking to his aunt. They had visits with my boy at his previous foster home and wanted to be a permanent resource for him. Then she became pregnant with her second baby and her husband was in a terrible car accident. They knew that they couldn't handle any more. Shortly after that he moved in with us. The last we heard was that they didn't live in our area.

I guess they do.

I got her e-mail and agreed to the possibility of a playdate at the park for Levi and the curly-haired cousin. She seemed nice enough and severely disapproving of the choices her family had made in regards to their lifestyle. Said she and her husband didn't associate with any of that side of the family because of their poor choices.

I'll be more comfortable with this whole "connecting with birth family" thing AFTER his adoption is finalized, however.

Makes me jumpy...

1 comment:

D said...

Hi,
thanks for dropping by my blog! I love visitors. I love your blog too.