Monday, December 10, 2007

All I Want for Christmas is my 2 Front Teeth


This is my poor son today. He's still exhausted but sporting a (swollen) smile even though he had a horrible day yesterday. He was running around at Nana's house with Solomon as I was searching for the boys' old crib for the baby. All of a sudden there was a big "THUD" and a blood-chilling scream. I ran in to see my son's mouth gushing blood. I scurried in to get paper towels and call Micah to run over. As we opened his mouth we saw that we needed to get to the hospital immediately. Malachi had a gaping hole through his tongue and his right front tooth was MIA. It also looked like the left front tooth had broken off. He was gagging and choking on blood and screaming.
We rushed to Silverton Hospital and they saw us right away just like always (take note, those of you who go to the Salem ER). They released him later on with narcotic pain killers, slightly less bleeding and directions to go to the pediatric dentist for X-rays first thing next morning.
So, today we found out that his teeth didn't break off but were shoved back up into his jaw ( Shutter). No surgery will be needed and his jaw looks OK. His tongue will have scarring and we were given instructions of watch for symptoms of infection and keep his intake limited to cool soft food for a while (the kid deserves a few heaping bowls of ice cream anyway). As for the teeth, they expect them to descend back down to where they were all on their own but can't say exactly when.
It's amazing how quickly accidents happen. We're thanking God that he's OK today and praising Him for our wonderful little son.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh shudder! I'm in pain just thinking about it. Poor guy. I'm glad he is going to be ok!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever felt so badly for a little one! What a mess he was! Praise God that there was no permanent damage although he looks rather like Bart
Simpson with that swollen upper lip ~ ha! Nana