Sunday, September 23, 2007

Looking Forward to October 2nd...

From Mommy: Last night we witnessed the most amazing thunder and lightening storm. I've not seen the likes of it, ever. As we sat enjoying it (or in the case of my youngest son and I, uneasily peering around and flinching every so often while clinging tightly to one another) we heard a sound over the noise of the thunder. I looked over to Donovan in puzzlement and was answered with, "It's a tornado siren."
Well, that's nice. A tornado siren. As we ushered the boys inside I realized how much I miss Oregon (go fig, huh?). I asked Dono what we should do and he responded with, "We wait to see if trees and 2x4s start flying 'round. If they do, we head down to the basement." Mmmmm. Yeah. That's all very well for the Wisconsinites, but this girl's an Oregonian. I like my trees root-down, my 2x4s nestled tightly in between the walls, and my tornado sirens kept safely inside my copy of The Wizard of Oz, thankyouvermuch.
As I listened to Donovan and my husband discuss options for Gramps (he's in a wheel chair and the basement stairs are steep and plenty) I became more homesick. I think the feeling peeked when I heard the guys decide "we could leave him upstairs, get a rope and tie the old man down, wheelchair and all, so he won't go flyin' 'round..."
Thankfully, the storm never escalated beyond high winds and huge flashes of white lightning, but it left me ready to go home. I miss my dog. I miss my house. I miss my family and my homeschool co-op. For all the fun we're having here and all the good times spent with Micah's wonderful family, and even though the Dairy State is just beautiful, I would be hard pressed to ever move out of the Willamette Valley. It's just...home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am on countdown to your return ~ can't hardly believe how much I miss you guys! Have fun, but hurry home ~ don't forget your ruby slippers! ha! Mom