Wednesday, July 25, 2007

In Loving Memory of...


Jadis Corin Lewis



June 13th, 1997 - July 25th 2007


My feet are cold tonight. There is no heartbeat to keep them snug. As my little dog died in my arms today, I cried and thought of all that we've been through together. She listened and took my side in those first few months of marriage when Micah and I were still learning to be a team. She was with us as we grew together and happily settled into our grown-up life.


I petted her soft coat as I timed painful contractions and her calm eyes broke through my nervous tension. When we returned home with the new bundles , our first order of business was to introduce her. Micah and I laughed at her confusion and then her excitement. From the start she was ever gentle and kind with "her pups".




She was always on guard while camping and ever our alarm should the doorbell fail to alert us.



Her fur absorbed bitter tears of disappointment when the world came crashing down and things didn't work out the way they should have.



She warmed cold winter nights and faithfully minded the children through warm summer afternoons.






She helped us celebrate our birthdays, holidays and milestones.





She tended us through sickness.



She was there through the loss of both my Grandmas, lending me all the comfort she could offer. She's seen first steps, heard first words and lapped up the smatterings of first strained carrots.

She was always just...there. When I walked through the door she was always so, so happy that I was home. Tonight I find myself sharing my son's longing, "Will we see Jadis again?" I have no way of knowing for sure, but I recently read this passage. I like it. I like it a lot. And tonight I choose to believe it's true:

"Animals aren't nearly as valuable as people, but God is their maker and has touched many people's lives through them. It would be simple for Him to re-create a pet in Heaven if He wants to. He's the giver of all good gifts, not the taker of them. If it would please us to have a pet restored to the New Earth, then that may be a sufficient reason. Consider parents who have acquired a pet because of their child's request. God is better then we are at giving good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:9-11)...in her book about Heaven, Joni Earecson Tata says, 'If God brings our pets back to life, it wouldn't surprise me. It would be just like Him. It would be totally in keeping with His generous character. Exorbiant. Excessive. Extravagant in grace after grace. Of all the dazzling discoveries and ecstatic pleasures Heaven will hold for us, the potential of seeing Scrappy again would be pure whimsy - utterly joyful, surprisingly superfluous... Heaven is going to be a place that will refract and reflect in as many ways as possible the goodness and joy of our great God who delights in lavishing love upon His children.' "

(from Heaven by Randy Alcorn)




"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually I laugh with your blog, today I shed tears. It is always hard losing a beloved pet. They become a part of the family. Jadis was your child before you had two beautiful boys. Bless you all Nee and give everyone a hug for me.
Love you,
Lisa

Kamayeth said...

We're so sorry! Jadis has been part of your family since it began. What a wonderful, full life she had with you - always so happy. We'll miss her her jaunty tail, cute hairdos and that adorable underbite. I fully believe that God will keep Jadis for you until we go Home. I can just hear the angels saying, "Stupid says woof!" Hang in there, Lewises. Our thoughts are with you.
We love you!
Shawn, Julie and Brielle

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart ~ I'm so sorry about little Jadis. I know how much she meant to you. I like Joni's take on heaven and I tend to agree ~ can't imagine a place without our beloved animals. Hang in there Sweetie. My Love, Mom

Andee said...

I'm so sorry, Nee. The Lewis family just isn't the same without Jadis.

Anonymous said...

We loved her so much, Papa isn't going to know how to eat without her sitting there waiting for him to share his dinner. She was so much a part of our family it's going to be hard to imigane life without her always sitting there waiting for you to come home or curling up enjoying family night too. Love you, hug the boys for us.....

Papa & Goga