Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chris Rice 2006


Can a 4-year-old actually enjoy music performed by something that's not a puppet? Can he appreciate songs that surpass the ideas of ABCs and the merits of properly brushing one's teeth? Turns out, yes. He can. Since Solomon was a baby, he's loved Chris Rice. He responded to this music when he was a fussy infant and seemed to listen intently even then. As he grew, I would put these CDs on for him at bedtime. Last Christmas he didn't ask for a new toy or bike for Christmas, but for a new Chris Rice album.
About 6 months ago he went through a phase where he needed to know what was real on TV, and what was pretend. We went through his list of pirates, aardvarks, Superman, etc. categorizing each as "real" or "pretend". He asked about his favorite singer, whome I placed in the "real" column. This seemed to surprise Sol, and I promised distractedly, "I'll take you to see him if he's ever close by." I hoped that answer would put an end to his questions.
Well. About a month ago I was on the computer while my boys were playing nearby. I ran across a Christian website. "Huh - Chris Rice is coming to the fair in Washington this August..." I said to myself. (I thought I said to myself, that is). "CHRIS RICE IS COMING TO WASHINGTON?!?" Solomon said, "That's on top of Oregon! That's close by! Mom, you said if he ever came close by that you would take me to see him!" So. Guess who just got back from a trip to Washington? Yup. Us. Nana decided to come, too and it was a wonderful time together. The boys had such fun and Chris Rice got to meet his youngest fan, a kid who learned to say, "Rice" when he was still in diapers.

No comments: