Friday, February 19, 2010

Well, that was Quick!















































Well, our CW called. "I have an 18-day-old baby for you, if you want.", she said. She proceeded to tell me about a case that was developing and it was sounding like what we were looking for. I said, "Yeah! This is all sounding pretty do-able!" She then says, "but there's one little thing.....it's a girl."
A girl?
She explained how she knew we wanted a boy, but this little one came in and she just felt that she needed to call and ask us if we were interested. I wasn't sure. I called Micah. He told me that he wasn't, in fact, surprised that we were offered a girl despite the fact that we firmly stated we'd only take a boy and asked for no calls for girls. Seems that he's had several "hints" that we would be caring for girl next, but he figured that, if that was indeed what God wanted, we'd know somehow.
So.
Here I am, sitting with my new foster daughter, "Rosie".
She's awfully small and sweet. Her 3 older siblings have been adopted out in another State and her Mom relinquished on all of them. We know that this will likely be a long-term placement, but permanency is, as always, indefinite. Now, I'm going to be drinking a bunch of chamomile tea and try to zen over the weekend in preparation for my annual, "We got a new placement panic attack". Without fail, within the first week of a placement, I have a HUGE anxiety attack. I don't know why, exactly, but it happens without fail. I FREAK OUT amidst the re-arrangement of school schedules, re-organizing, figuring out a new routine from everything to getting loaded into the car to meals and bedtimes. Everything just has to settle back into place and it takes a little bit.
All this time I'm falling in love with a baby who may be taken from me. During one of those first nights I will lose it. I will call my mom. I will cry in the tub. I will wonder if I can do this. I will remember scary things like SIDS and Colic. Then, after a hug from my wonderful hubby and hearing him telling me,"You're not alone in this. WE will do fine." and my Mom gushing about how proud of me she is and assuring me that she's right across the street whenever I need her, THEN I'll settle down and chill out and enjoy myself. I'm hoping that maybe by expecting my little meltdown and preparing myself for it, that it will be easier for me to adjust quickly. Here's hoping! Little noodle has court next Tuesday and we'll know a bit more about her story, but for now...I'm off to make some Chamomile tea and rock a little one :)

2 comments:

StarfishMom said...

I just walked in from vacation and I come home to THIS????????????? AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! So excited for you!!! Knowing that God has H's future in the palm of HIS hand...I will pray HIS will be done. But of course, I'll also be praying that she has the privilege of growing up with you, M and her amazing, hysterical 4 older brothers!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

You are adorable!! You will do great and God already knows the whole story so continue to revel in all that His is doing :) Congratulations on your new peanut...she is precious and no doubt those sweet boys of yours will be spoilin' her :)