Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shelter Hearing



















Well, Rosie's bio mom had court Tuesday. Since this was technically a shelter hearing (the initial court date after a child comes into care when the judge decides if the child should stay in foster care or that DHS jumped the gun and the child should be returned with a safety plan implemented) the judge did decide that she will stay in care. The judge also gave Mom a 2-hour visit per week and enrolled her in a "Baby Bonding Group" to take with Rosie. Zephan did these with his bio-mom and it's supposed to support confidence and accountability. The teachers of these groups are really good and I'm glad she and her Mom will be taking these classes. Caseworker is holding her cards close in regards to the birth dad. When I asked if he'd be visiting I got a, "Nope." and when I tried to ask a bit more about him, I didn't get any answers. I think there may be something fishy going on with this birth dad. I asked if he was incarcerated and got, "We think so." We think so? They haven't looked? This is odd. I know caseworkers are all as different as any individuals who make up any group, but this particular one is very business-like and doesn't like to chat a whole lot. She may just be that way, or there may be some interesting things going on here. Maybe both. I'd sure like to know if they're doing a relative search, though...
Anyway. She's doing great! Such a sweetheart. I DO admit: IT'S SO FUN TO DRESS A GIRL!! All the tights with frilly hinders and ruffles and headbands and fancy little socks and size zero Mary Jane church shoes. Augh! It's killing me!
She usually wakes to be fed 2-3 times a night but is content to go right back to sleep until the household wakes. She's really starting to look around and hold her head up. Zephan has shocked us by being either interested, loving or ambivalent about her and hasn't shown any negative behaviors whatever. Shocker! Seriously.
The older 3 smile and coo at her and I'm sure when she gets a bit more interactive they'll attach more. They're curious about why she isn't with her parents and it has opened up a nice space for dialog about choices, drugs, alcohol and choosing Godly friends.
Levi has begun asking some questions, as well, and we've had some of our first "adoption talks" about how God can bring families together in all sorts of ways. He's now grasping that he has a birth mom and that she loves him. I hope God continues to guide my words to him to enforce how dear he is to us and tell him his story in a positive light.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very precious conversations, no doubt...very necessary, too :) With each peanut that comes home to stay, it brings up more questions about bfamilies. 3 of our kiddos have open-adoptions but they are all varying levels. Our sweet ones born in China do not have any bfamily contact (or any bfamily info. for that matter) so that has been the topic in our house lately. I love talking to them about it, I just wish I had all the answers.