Monday, September 11, 2006

Piece of Peace


I'm part of blogging group who is remembering what we were doing this morning 5 years ago. I was newly pregnant with my first born. I was so sick that morning. Micah came home from his night shift and turned on the TV in our bedroom. I saw this. The sky was falling. I thought of my Grandpa who woke up onboard his infamous Navy ship on his 21st birthday, that morning of December 7th, 1941. He was stationed in Pearl Harbor. He saw the sky fall that day. Bombs fell on his ship. On his friends. Comrades were killed. I had always marveled at the fact that he had witnessed history in the making that day. He was there. Now, I was there. Ahh the blessings of live feed television.
Thoughts assaulted my mind lightning quick:" Who did this? Surely the American people won't stand for it. So, a war then? Yes. Very likely. Will Micah be drafted? Will he miss the birth of his first child? Will he return at all? Will we win? Who did this?!? Ohmygosh. Is that another plane? Oh, no. How many did they send? Who are they?"
It seemed the world flipped up-side-down that morning. That things would never be right again. The uncertainty and all the loss, it got to me. More thoughts came: "What in the world am I doing, bringing a baby into all this? What kind of business do I have putting him here? In this world so violent and errant. I know he's a boy. I can feel it. An innocent little boy. My boy. What if I can't protect him? Oh, God, I need peace!"
God provided. He gave me a symbol of perfection. Reminded me that He's in charge. He's the great orchestrater and the universal healer: The next March my husband delivered my son into the world. We looked at him and called him Solomon. It means "peaceful". And we still are. By grace. No matter what goes on down here on this crazy planet. We are His and He gives peace. He had our piece of peace in the works for us before we even knew we needed it. If that makes any sense to you. It does to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me as well and this is such a reminder to me that God cares for each of us - no matter how circumstances look. HE knew we needed that beautiful little boy (& the one to follow as well!)
Thank God for leaders who weren't afraid to do what needed to be done!